Milton»Forums
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
Looking Awesome, I've got questions.
Edited by Allen Webster on
So first of all Milton is looking awesome, I just tried the version on the github and I see no reason to keep Mischief around now. Also the art on the project page is quite impressive.

Now I've got a lot of questions.

First of all, I'm not an artist, so I just use a mouse and I'm guessing this might not be a problem with a tablet, but seems like the sample rate on the mouse position is a bit low. I don't care since I'm not an artist, but I'm curious if that is something you're going to attend to.

Second, I have never in my life figured out how people make such nice installers. Everything I try turns out to be a massive nightmare so I've just never made anything that installs "properly" on windows. I'm curious if you can briefly explain what you do to set up that installer. I looked around the source very briefly but I didn't find a smoking gun.
Murry Lancashire
25 posts
Aspiring Polymath.
If any of the art programs want artist feedback give me a yell and I can give you detailed feedback of what it would need to be useable/competitive vs other programs.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
It uses Inno Setup installer: https://github.com/serge-rgb/milton/blob/master/Milton.iss

I have used it before multiple times and I have found it the most reasonable one: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
Inno Setup default wizard generates project that is very nice by default. And it has Pascal language for advanced scripting, but I've never had need to use it. You can do a lot of things with default configuration/wizard options.

Before that I used NSIS installer: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page While it is as good as Inno, the most painful part was the scripting, because you needed to do that in pseudo-assembly language. Not sure if that is changed now or not.
Mikkel
57 posts
So you're probably here to find some information about what I've done, what I am doing and what sort of person I am right? well... Good luck!
I also found the sample rate with mouse a bit low when moving quickly
Mikkel
57 posts
So you're probably here to find some information about what I've done, what I am doing and what sort of person I am right? well... Good luck!
I'll also just mention it here, it would be nice if the circle would still be there when erasing.
Sergio González
35 posts / 1 project
I'm working on Milton, a paint program with infinite canvas. My mom thinks I'm awesome.
Allen,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a big fan. =) I'm glad that you're liking Milton.

The artist's name is Perla Fierro and she has been a great help. (No current portfolio page -_-)

I'm aware of the sampling problem. The reason I haven't fixed it is that it hasn't ever been priority #1, and it isn't trivial so I can't just spend a couple hours and be done with it. I think the term they use in paint programs is "stroke smoothing" and it seems pretty interesting, particularly for the "infinitely sampled" case.

A couple of days ago I exchanged emails with Perla and came up with a list of points where Milton needs to improve. She hasn't mentioned "stroke smoothing" yet. There are many things that are more important to her at the moment.

Like Martins said, I used Inno Setup and it was relatively painless. I would recommend it.

Murry,
I would really appreciate any feedback, however detailed, on Milton and how it compares vs other programs, particularly the one it's trying to kill :P. My email is in my profile, or you can post here in the forums. Wherever you think is best. You would be a tremendous help!

Mikkel,
Yeah, It's much more noticeable with the mouse. And the problem is much more serious when Milton is used a blackboard, with long, defined strokes, than when it's used as a canvas with short and blended strokes. It will get fixed!

Thanks, everyone =D
Mikkel
57 posts
Its really great! But maybe your artist friend hasn't noticed since at least from what I see from my artist friends, they tend to go a bit slower on their strokes to get more control, which would result in the sampling problem being less apparent. Also, PLEASE let the circle be visible when erasing xD its driving me nuts!